Thursday, November 22, 2007

Four Walks and a Funeral


A lot has been happening for the past couple of weeks. The Blank Noise intervention was a wonderful experience and all the running around really paid off. Jasmeen is leaving tomorrow morning. A brilliant woman. You just have to see how focussed she is about her work! I must say, although I have been working for Blank Noise for some time now, this is the first time things are really clearing up inside my head. I love the way we worked. I loved the way the intervention opened me up to so many things about Calcutta and its people that I had never noticed before.

For the last few days, I have had random and long conversations with hawkers, shopkeepers, autowallahs, rickshawallahs, littlekids, wearyaunties, gigglinggirls. And suddenly I know everyone in the entire stretch of the Gariahat market. Well, most of them. Like, I really know who the kid selling pirated CDs is. And what he loves best. I have his phone number. He has mine too. I know I won't be calling him up when I am blue anytime soon, but I know that I can, if I wish. That feels great. I know. I am mad. It's impossible to emphasize enough on the importance of these conversations. I give up trying to explain.

The walk condemning the Nandigram killings was, also, a reason for hope for more reasons than one. I have been to the walks when Singur happened. I distinctly remember feeling a little out of place among the theater workers, actors, intellectuals( although I was sure I wanted to be there). But this time it was very different. I met the common man at the walk this time. The doping student. The old man with a hurting knee. The teacher with his students. The housewife after the day's chores. The cute girl in glasses. Everyone of them.

I am surprised how addicted I have lately become to walking alone. Going on limbs to absolute nowheres. I walked to Subhayu's place the day before but lost my way- which is insane, considering I go to his place more frequently than anywhere else.


Mark Knopfler is really great. Yes. I know what you are thinking. I just felt like mentioning. Just that I am listening to Walk of Life right now.

On a slightly gloomier note, my semesters start the 3rd of December and I am having to study. Not that I am complaining. I don't mind, really.

6 comments:

  1. The Blank Noise project sounds wonderful. Wish I had heard of it earlier.
    The walk was a revelation this time. All friends and foes (I study in a very, very politically inclined college) came together to protest a wrong. At least the hearts are still in the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love walking alone too. I walked from Princeton to Golpark alone yesterday... loved it.


    Btw, "I don't mind, really."

    Okay, who are you and what have you done to the dorky perv we call Saptarshi?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean... all those connections.

    I still haven't had time to write of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard about blank noise a long time back, but didn't really get any info regarding their work. what do u guys do exactly? isn't it something about combating eve-teasing... would be nice if you post some more regarding this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the title. Found it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ ad libber: Yes. Only if people really start doing something about it now. It's about time.

    @ Panu: You do? We will walk alone together one day. Down North Cal streets, right? :D

    @ Sue: How do you do? :P

    @ Blabberwocky: Done. :)

    @ Ate: Thank You.

    ReplyDelete